This document describes the documentation requirements and guidelines to be followed during the development of PlasmaPy and affiliated packages.
Documentation is built from the master branch on every commit pushed to it.
Using sphinx within the project¶
To build docs locally, either:
- use Tox with
tox -e build_docsfrom within the main PlasmaPy repository directory, or
- enter the
docsdirectory and run
docs/_build/index.html with your browser of choice.
Do try to solve warnings in documentation when writing your code. To enforce this,
build_docs environment is set to fail on encountering any warnings via
-W flag to
tox -e build_docs_no_examples command will build the documentation without
executing the example notebooks. It will also
pass with warnings.
- All public classes, methods, and functions should have docstrings.
- PlasmaPy uses the numpydoc standard for docstrings.
- Docstrings must be raw string literals
if they contain backslashes. A raw string literal is denoted by
rimmediately precede quotes or triple quotes:
r""" I did not like unstable eigenfunctions at first, but then they grew on me. """
- Simple functions may need only a one-line docstring.
- Each subpackage must have narrative documentation describing its use.