This document describes the documentation requirements and guidelines to be followed during the development of PlasmaPy and affiliated packages.
Documentation is built from the master branch on every commit pushed to it.
Using sphinx within the project¶
To build docs locally, run
sphinx-build docs docs/_build from
within the main PlasmaPy repository directory, then open
docs/_build/index.html with your browser of choice.
Do try to solve warnings in documentation when writing your code.
- All public classes, methods, and functions should have docstrings.
- PlasmaPy uses the numpydoc standard for docstrings.
- Docstrings must be raw string literals
if they contain backslashes. A raw string literal is denoted by
rimmediately precede quotes or triple quotes:
r""" I did not like unstable eigenfunctions at first, but then they grew on me. """
- Simple functions may need only a one-line docstring.
- Each subpackage must have narrative documentation describing its use.